Dickinson Historic Railroad Depot
The Dickinson Historic Railroad Center is owned by the City of Dickinson, Texas. It is comprised of the Dickinson Railroad Depot, the League City Railroad Depot, and the grounds surrounding those depots. It includes any artifacts, objects, displays, benches, or other physical devices or equipment associated with the grounds.
The Dickinson Depot sat along the railroad tracks not., far from Hwy. 3 and FM 517 East. The: Depot was part of the Galveston;. Houston, and Henderson (G.H. & H.) Railroad Line, which was one of the earliest railroads in Texas. Chartered in 1853 the G.H&H; was one of the oldest lines in Texas to retain its original charter name and the first railroad to reach the Texas Gulf Coast. The line gained financial stability in 1882, under the ownership and empire of Jay Gould.
original Dickinson depot was built in 1859, and later burned in 1900. A
new Depot was designed and built in 1902 by architect George B. Stowe, a
prominent Galveston architect. More elaborate than the other depots along
the line, Stowe’s design called for a red brick mantle fireplace, double
half-moon doors, and a bay window overlooking the tracks.
the doors of this beautiful Victorian-styled structure traveled thousands
of visitors to the Dickinson, Galveston, and Houston area. Many of the
visitors spent their days at the picnic grounds, racetrack, and various
Dickinson events. It is no wonder that this Depot helped to name the town
of Dickinson. Situated on property of once owned by ‘John Dickinson, one
of Stephen F. Austin’s original “Old Three Hundred” settlers, the
station came to be known as the “Dickinson Station”. So: many of the
travelers came to know and enjoy the area as “Dickinson,” even though
several other names were tried in identifying the region.
these many reasons, the Weed N Wish Garden Club members came to love, and
later own, the Dickinson Depot. They could not allow the little depot,
which had been so significant in developing our city, to be destroyed.
They took it upon themselves to restore, renovate, and maintain the
Dickinson Station as an area community center and museum. •At a time
when there existed no City government, the Garden Club ladies raised the
money necessary to move and restore the Dickinson depot. Only a short time
into the fundraising and restoration work, the Garden Club members were
offered the League City Depot. Knowing its importance to the area; as well
as the state, the ladies decided to add to their fundraising burden and
save the League City Depot, as well.
many years, these ladies provided a fabulous community center and museum
to visitors and residents~, but the expense and hardship of maintaining
the buildings became too much for the Garden Club, and it was donated to
the City of Dickinson. Understanding the significance of the two depots to
our state and town, the City of Dickinson aided in forming the
Dickinson Historical Society. The Society took on the task fundraising and
restoring the depots, with the assistance of tile City: Dickinson Economic
Development Corporation, TXDOT, Texas Historical Commission, and many
other supporters. Today stands the Dickinson Historic Railroad Center, a
community meeting facility, visitor center, museum, gift shop, bicycle
rest stop, and offices” for the Dickinson Historical Society, as well as
the North Galveston County Chamber of Commerce.